This degree caters to students with a love of literature, language, and writing. You’ll gain solid, adaptable communication skills and learn about history, culture, language, and human behavior, through the use of literary materials. In your courses, you’ll focus on national traditions, genre studies, and the critical analysis of identity, especially with race, gender, ethnicity, and sexuality.
This bachelor’s degree does not lead directly to teacher certification, but as a liberal arts degree the program provides a strong foundation.
Degree Program Details
An overview of what we offer, what you’ll learn, and how to get started.
- Survey of American Literature
- Expository Writing
- Multicultural Perspectives through Literature
- Gain an introduction to literary texts that have been either written in English or translated into English.
- Understand the character and conventions of the principal literary genres and of other kinds of writing and communication.
- Develop skills of analysis and interpretation using different theoretical approaches to study and analyze literature, language and literacy.
- Understand how literature and language reflect and impact cultural change and examine how texts are written and received within literary, cultural and socio-historical contexts.
- Complete a capstone project which integrates acquired knowledge and capabilities in literary studies.
This important jumpstart will allow you to immerse yourself in your chosen major, saving you time and money as you progress towards your bachelor’s degree.
If you’re a NH Community College Graduate, check the prerequisites that you take prior to beginning your Transfer Pathway at Granite State. Visit CCSNH Partnerships to learn more.
- Regionally accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC).
- Available fully online with select on campus courses.
- Affordable tuition.
- Top-ranked by U.S. News & World Report for our online bachelor’s degrees.
- 84% of our students are transfer students. Making the most of your transfer credits is our specialty.
- Career counseling is available to all students and alumni. We also extend this service to those considering their college options.
- Faculty who are subject matter experts that share their real-world expertise to help you apply what you learn to your personal goals and career.
Your Prior and Current Learning Counts
Many of our students can demonstrate college-level knowledge gained from military, workplace and volunteer-based training, and experiences. We are expert at helping students demonstrate learning and earning academic credit.Learn More
A bachelor’s degree in English is a gateway for many different professions such as writer, teacher, public relations specialist, and online content marketer. For many who plan to earn a graduate degree, the job market options begin to expand.