School of Education Testing Requirements
Praxis Test and Other Requirements
Our School of Education teacher certification programs are approved by and meet all of the NH DOE certification standards and testing requirements standards. Proof of passing scores (or attempts to pass) Praxis II and the NH Foundations of Reading, if applicable to your certification area, will be required for eligibility to register for EDU 651/EDU750.
If we have not yet received your Praxis Core scores, a School of Education Registration hold could be placed on your account. To ensure your eligibility to register for clinical EDU courses in the upcoming terms, please submit passing scores as soon as possible. If you have not yet completed your testing, please send to your advisor a registration confirmation message from ETS, which shows your scheduled test date.
Overview & Testing Timeline
- EDU 622 - Passing scores for the full Praxis Core series (or an approved exemption) are required prior to registration
- EDU 700 - Passing scores are required by the completion of the course and to continue into clinical courses
- Proof of passing scores (or attempts to pass) Praxis II, if applicable to your certification area, will be required for eligibility to register for EDU 651/EDU 750
Pearson Foundations of Reading Test for New Hampshire
- Proof of passing scores (or attempts to pass) Pearson Foundations of Reading Test, if applicable to your certification area, will be required for eligibility to register for EDU 651/EDU 750
Praxis Testing Information (ETS)
Visit the ETS website to register for the Praxis. ETS now offers this test at home as a safe and convenient option for students who are unable to test at a test center due to public health concerns. The tests are:
- Offered for test takers who live in the United States or its territories, based on the address in your Praxis or SLS account
- Identical in content, format and on-screen experience to tests taken at a test center
- Taken on your own computer at home or another secure location and monitored by a human proctor online through ProctorU®
- Available 10 a.m.–1 a.m. ET, seven days a week
- Affordable. Testing fees vary and fee waivers may be available for students who meet the eligibility criteria
BEFORE registering to take a test, Educator Candidates should check New Hampshire testing requirements on the ETS website.
IMPORTANT! When registering, be sure to indicate Granite State College (Code RA3640) and NH DOE (Code R7660) as Designated Score Recipients.
The School of Education will waive the Praxis Core Requirement upon receipt of the following documentation:
- A copy of the student’s current NH teaching certification, or:
- ETS Praxis Score Report confirming that student passed the Praxis I PPST prior to 1/1/2014, or:
- Notification that NH DOE has accepted student’s alternative testing scores in place of the Praxis Core.
Candidates seeking a comparable assessment that meets testing requirements will need to create/register through the NH Bureau of Credentialing Website and submit a test evaluation request through their account.
NOTE: A master’s degree will not waive the Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators OR the Praxis II for content specific areas.
Praxis Core Prep Resources
The Praxis Core Math Subtest 5733 covers 3 major content areas:
- Number and Quantity
- Data interpretation and representation, statistics, and probability
- Algebra and geometry
1. Attend Our Free Praxis Workshops
The School of Education is excited to be working with the Academic Support Center to support our students in their Praxis testing requirements. Led by an alum who is certified in Math grades 7-12, these 100% online workshop are held several times a year. >>See Schedule
2. ETS Study Companions:
ETS Study Companion for Core Academic Skills for Educators: www.ets.org/praxis/testprep
3. Brainfuse: Praxis Core (Praxis I) Practice Tests
Our online tutoring and support platform, Brainfuse, offers practice tests. To access these resources, complete the following steps:
- Log in to Moodle (requires your GSC username and password)
- Under “Resources” select “Brainfuse Online Tutoring"
- Under "Log into Brainfuse", select "Brainfuse Tutoring"
- Under the "Academic Tools" drop-down menu, select "SkillSurfer"
- Select "Career Prep and Job Resources" from the Learning Library
- Select “Teachers” from Career Prep and Job Resources block
- In the "PRAXIS Practice Tests" block, choose the appropriate test (Praxis Math, Writing, Reading, or grade level tests)
- Select “Start Test”
Once you complete a test, it will show you which questions you answered correctly and incorrectly and also provide an explanation of how you should have arrived at the correct answer. This is especially helpful for the math section because it explains how to correctly solve the math problems/equations.
If you want to retake one of the practice tests, contact Brainfuse and request that they reset the test. This will allow you to start over from the beginning (click here).
4. ALEKS Math Prep Praxis Core
This web-based system assesses your math core knowledge and provides an online instructional program developed exclusively for you.
- Visit aleks.com and choose “Sign Up Now”
- Enter Course Code: 6TM4P-VAVKG (Case sensitive)
5. Core Math Made Easy
This low cost textbook written by Dr. Madeleine Gardner, a 35-year professor of math, from George Mason University. She created the book after finding that her own search for Praxis Math resources came up empty. >>Visit website
Featuring an online Praxis Core prep course that covers all subtest areas. >>Visit website
7. Magoosh Online Praxis Core Prep and Practice
Praxis Core Prep materials. Purchase is required. >>Visit website
Free, practice Praxis exam. >>Visit website
8. Khan Academy
Offers free math tutorials. Maximum benefit will be gained by carefully following the Khan course, rather than by just watching random videos. >>Visit website
Pearson Foundations of Reading Testing
Foundations of Reading Information and Registration website: http://www.nh.nesinc.com/
Testing Requirements for all SOE Certification Areas
Updated October 28, 2020. Please consult with your advisor to confirm requirements.
NH DOE Endorsement Code
NH DOE Requirements 610.02 for all certifications*
NH DOE Certification*
ETS Praxis Core Requirements
ETS Praxis II Subject Area Assessment Requirements
Pearson NH Foundations of REading
|Early Childhood Education (N-3)||1866||612.03||507.18||Required 5752 Core Series||Required Test Code 5024||Required|
|Early Childhood Special Education||1912||612.07||507.39||Required 5752 Core Series|
|Elementary Education (K-6)||1810||612.04||507.11||Required 5752 Core Series||Required K/6 Test 5001: Elem Ed Mult. Subjects||Required|
|Elementary Education (K-8)||1811||612.04||507.11||Required 5752 Core Series||Required K-8 Test 5001: Elem Ed Mult. Subjects AND Middle School Content||Required|
|General Special Education (K-12)||1900||612.07||507.39||Required 5752 Core Series|
|Mathematics, Middle Level (Grades 5-8)||1102||612.17||507.25||Required 5752 Core Series||Required Test Code 5169|
|Mathematics, Upper Level (Grades 7-12)||1100||612.18||507.26||Required 5752 Core Series||Required Test Code 5161|
|Reading and Writing Teacher (for already certified teachers)||0034||612.02||507.50||Required|
|Digital Learning Specialist (K-12) for already Cert. teachers||0350||612.19||507.22||No additional testing needed for Already Certified Teachers|
Special Education Advanced Endorsement Areas that require certification in GSE or ECSE
|Emotional and Behavioral Disabilities||1855||612.1||507.42||No additional testing needed for Already Certified Teachers|
|Specific Learning Disabilities||1907||612.11||507.43||No additional testing needed for Already Certified Teachers|
|Intellectual Developmental Disabilities||1833||612.08||507.40||No additional testing needed for Already Certified Teachers|
|Blind and Vision Disabilities||1909||612.13||507.45||Required 5752 Core Series|
|Deaf and Hearing Disabilities||1910||612.09||507.41||Required 5752 Core Series|
|Reading and Writing Specialist||0037||612.02||507.12||Required|
Still need help? Contact us.
Report an Incident
For anonymous reporting of conduct violations, discrimination, harassment, or violence of any kind (i.e. sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and/or stalking).