Health Update: Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Independent Learning Agreements

Requesting a Course & Developing an Independent Learning Agreements

Undergraduate and School of Education Students

If there’s a course you’d like to take that is not scheduled for the upcoming term, you can make a formal request to take the course. There are two primary types of requests:

  • Courses in the Catalog
  • Courses not offered at Granite State College

Courses in the Catalog 

If you need a certain course from the Catalog in order to progress in your degree program, and this course isn’t offered, you can submit a request to take this course independently. Instead of being in a class with multiple students, you will work independently to complete the required assignments under the guidance of a faculty mentor.

Courses not offered at Granite State College: Unique Independent Learning Agreements

If you’d like to explore a highly specialized area (and Granite State College doesn’t offer a course focused on that specific topic), you can request an independent learning agreement. This is rare and typically for students who are pursuing a bachelor’s in individualized studies. You’ll develop a proposal outlining your goals and a faculty member with expertise in this area will work with you to formulate specific learning outcomes and assignments.

Policies & Guidelines

The following conditions must be met to initiate an independent learning agreement:

  • Students must submit the request by the deadline for that term
  • The course must be appropriate to the student’s program of study
  • All requests are subject to approval by Academic Affairs based on student’s degree completion plan and academic history
  • All requests are subject to the availability of a faculty member


Visit the Course Request and Independent Learning Agreement website and contact your advisor.

Independent Learning Agreements


Still need help? Contact us.

Report an Incident

For anonymous reporting of conduct violations, discrimination, harassment, or violence of any kind (i.e. sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and/or stalking).

File a Report