About Online Learning
The popularity of online learning has continued to increase since its inception, and for adults with busy lives and hectic schedules, taking a course online is an excellent way to learn. Research shows that online courses are just as effective and rigorous as face-to-face instruction. You should also be aware that even though they are delivered in a more flexible way, online courses require just as much time and effort as a traditional course.
Online Interactive Course Requirements
To be successful in an online course, you must:
- Work at your own pace and organize your time to meet assignment deadlines.
- Access your course via the Internet to communicate via email, chat, and other electronic methods.
- Participate in a dynamic learning environment with students from New Hampshire and beyond.
- Be comfortable with the following computer skills:
- Using a mouse and keyboard
- Saving and finding files and folders on a computer
- Copying/cutting and pasting text
- Using a word processing application, such as Microsoft Word
- Attaching and uploading documents and assignments
- Sending and receiving email
- Using one or more web browsers to surf the web
- Finding information using search engines, such as Google
A computer running a current operating system such the Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Lion, or Mac OS X Mountain Lion operating system.
Access to the Internet. DSL or Broadband access is recommended.
A web browser such as Firefox
, Safari or Internet Explorer. Important Note: Firefox is the recommended browser for use with eLearning+ (GSC’s Moodle learning management system.) See GSC IT Help: Browser Settings
for specific web browser compatibility information.
Word processing software is needed to complete and submit some assignments. The most recent version of Microsoft Office (for Windows
) is recommended. Student discounts on Microsoft Office are available through the UNH Computer Store
Some courses will require specific software. See syllabus for details.
Once enrolled, every student receives a Go.Granite email account
. Important communications within your online course will be sent to your Go.Granite email. You can choose to forward these messages to your preferred email account.