Claremont Campus Literacy Program
Northern New England AmeriCorps*VISTA Collaboration
Campus Compact for New Hampshire
This is an AmeriCorps *VISTA opportunity offered by Campus Compact of New Hampshire. Granite State College is the host site.
Are you interested in exploring a career in higher education? Do you have a passion for helping people of all ages foster social change through improved literacy? Working at Granite State College’s Claremont campus, you will be the coordinator for a literacy partnership working together to support literacy in rural Sullivan County. You will manage the logistics for key literacy and GED activities and provide some tutoring. You will also help educate people about the benefits of and skills needed in higher education and inspire them to pursue a college degree. A scholarship towards a GSC master’s degree is available for you.
The VISTA volunteer, as Literacy Partnership Coordinator, will:
- Build connections with GSC and other adult literacy partnership members and students to understand and support literacy, GED completion, and college success needs
- Support and coordinate the community literacy plan research, design, and implementation
- Promote public awareness and information sharing as indicated by the Literacy Partnership Steering Committee
- Coordinate logistics and provide organization to the partnership, including data and expense tracking
Successful candidates should have the ability to work in a team setting with enthusiasm, creativity, and the desire to advance literacy and attainment of educational goals among adults. As a member of a diverse project team, the applicant must be comfortable with a collective impact model of social change. Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree. Preference will be given to applicants with knowledge and experience of literacy issues as they relate to policy, program design and delivery, and community awareness. A background check will be performed on selected applicants and is a requirement of the position.
Successful applicants will possess the following skills and attributes:
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills, particularly with individuals and groups having diverse interests and backgrounds
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to deal effectively with information from diverse sources
- Solid time-management and priority-setting skills
- Experience or skills in research and evaluation tasks, including critical thinking skills and good judgment
- Computer software competence, including Word, Excel, Power Point, and online communication and research
- Entrepreneurial, courageous, adaptable, constructive, and creative approach to the challenges and opportunities of a dynamic work environment
- High degree of self-initiative to maintain momentum and progress
- Inclusive, empathetic, sensitive, and respectful approach to collaboration that accommodates uniqueness and differing viewpoints
- Valid driver’s license, clean driver’s record, reliable vehicle
You may apply through the AmeriCorps *VISTA listing above, or send resume, letter of interest, and the names and contact information for three professional references via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.
GSC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and Vietnam-era and disabled veterans are encouraged to apply.